“You’ve got this!”
You’re doing great!”
“Don’t give up!”
These phrases often bring hope to the hopeless, peace to the restless. Many times our hearts seem so overwhelmed, the thought of doing just one more thing can set our minds off into an exhaustive downward spiral.
This is the exact moment we need someone to move in close and whisper a word of comfort and encouragement. But, what do we do when that friend isn’t near? When we don’t have someone close enough to lean on in an attempt to gain just a little bit of confidence?
We can look to Jesus and the Word that has been so lovingly given to us. God gave us His love letter, the Holy Bible, to read and to know His heart. He brings us words of grace, mercy, and comfort. We can look throughout both the Old and New Testaments to find encouraging Scripture. When our hearts feel heavy, and we need a boost of faith from God, let us look to His Word to find exactly what we need.
Here are just a few verses out of many we can look to for consolation and comfort.
1. John 14:27: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (ESV)
We are not abandoned, bereft, or alone. He has give us everlasting peace and a hope that lives within you.
2. Nahum 1:7: “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.” (ESV)
God is our hiding place when we walk through trials in life. He hears us when we look to Him for help, and He wants us to fully depend on Him for everything.
3. Isaiah 26:3: “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” (ESV)
We are completely whole and completely free when we stay in step with God. He is the one steady and sure thing we need in this life.
4. Ephesians 3:19: “and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” (ESV)
He gives us, not worldly strength, but His glorious inner strength. He asks us to stand firmly on His love and begin to experience the depth, breadth, and width of just how much he truly cares for us.
5. 2 Timothy 1:7: “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” (ESV)
God gives us His strength, and we can have an unshakable confidence in living boldly for Him.
6. Philippians 4:8: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.” (ESV)
He asks us to fill our minds with what He provides-truth, grace, beauty. He is made up of everything good and perfect, and we owe Him all our praise for all He has done.
7. Psalm 16:8: “I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (ESV)
He is always with us; He chooses to never leave our sides. No matter the circumstances, we can trust that His arms are wrapped tightly around us and He won’t let go.
8. Matthew 11:30: “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (ESV)
He calls out to us, urging us to get away with Him, rest in Him, walk Him, and work with Him. He lovingly takes the heaviness of this world from us leaving us with a step that is light and easy.
Friends, let us continually open our hearts and minds to what He provides. In times of need and when we are at our lowest and feel discouraged by this life, let us open our Bibles and let every word of peace, joy, encouragement, and love fill us with hope and comfort.