by Tina Russo Lancey, CYT, R-AYF, R-CYAMT
Number: The first chakra is the root chakra.
Sanskrit word for the root chakra is called muladhara. Mula means root. Adhara means base (support).
Location: The base of the spine.
Function: The root chakra is representative of the roots or base in your life. It is associated with survival, energy, safety, trust, comfort, and stability.
Physical Body Parts Associated: Adrenal glands, kidneys, bones, colon, muscles, arterial side of the heart
Physical Signs of a Blocked Root Chakra: Weight gain or loss, constipation, incontinence, and pelvic pain.
Mental Signs of a Blocked Root Chakra: Easily distracted, feeling lost, anxiety, depression, stress, and being unable to complete one task at a time, or make decisions.
While the Bible does not specifically address the chakras, there are verses we can associate with the root chakra.
- For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 3:11)
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. (Deuteronomy 31:8)
- The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. (Proverbs 18:10)
- In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
- Do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. (Romans 11:18)
Mantras for the Root Chakra:
- I am safe
- I am a child of God
- I am the son/daughter of the King
- I am healthy
- I am strong
- I am worthy
- I am balanced
- I am grounded
Yoga Poses for the Root Chakra:
- Easy Pose
- Child’s Pose
- Garland Pose
- Tree Pose
- Standing Forward Fold
- Mountain Pose
- Low Lunge (Crescent Moon Pose)
- Wide-Legged Forward Fold
- Warrior II
- Bridge Pose
- Head to Knee Forward Fold
- Angel Pose (Savasana)