by Tina Russo Lancey, CYT, R-AYF, R-CYAMT
Number: The second chakra is the sacral chakra.
Sanskrit word for the sacral chakra is called svadhistana. This word translates to where your being is established. Swa = self and adhisshana = established.
Location: Lower body/inner pelvis
Function: The sacral chakra is representative of creativity and sensuality.
Physical Body Parts Associated: Reproductive/sexual organs, and the kidneys.
Causes of a Blocked Sacral Chakra: Stress, emotional upset, illness.
Physical Signs of a Blocked Sacral Chakra: Low back pain, ovarian cysts, impotence, pain with intercourse, issues with bladder, issues with the kidneys, and reproductive issues.
Mental Signs of a Blocked Sacral Chakra: Loss of desire for sex, overindulgence in sexual fantasies, difficulty expressing emotions, problems expressing creativity, feeling overemotional, manipulative behavior, jealousy, and aggression.
Clearing a Blocked Sacral Chakra: Connect with water.
While the Bible does not specifically address the chakras, there are verses we can associate with the sacral chakra.
- In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. (Genisis 1:1)
- For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
- Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you. (1 Timothy 4:14)
Mantras for the Sacral Chakra:
- I feel creative
- I feel loved
- I feel safe
- I am a loved child of God
- Sex is a sacred connection within God’s parameters
- My emotions are free-flowing and balanced
Yoga Poses for the Sacral Chakra
- Hero Pose
- Hip Circles
- Low Lunge
- Warrior II
- Reverse Warrior
- Wide-Legged Standing Forward Bend
- Frog Pose
- Seated Forward Bend
- Reclined Bound Angle Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Reclined Butterfly