by Tina Russo Lancey, CYT, R-AYF, R-CYAMT
Number: The fourth energy center in the body is the heart chakra.
Sanskrit: word for the heart chakra is called anahata. This word translates as “unhurt.”
Location: At the heart
Function: The heart chakra is representative of the understanding of love and compassion.
Physical Body Parts Associated: Heart, Lungs, Arms, Hands, and Chest.
Causes of a Blocked Heart Chakra: Negative love experience, lack of love and/or affection in childhood, heartbreak, trauma which has not been processed, and unhealthy relationships.
Physical Signs of a Blocked Heart Chakra: High or low blood pressure, heart and lung conditions, poor circulation, and bronchitis.
Mental Signs of a Blocked Heart Chakra: Feelings of loneliness, shyness, being overly defensive, jealousy, fear of intimacy, holding grudges, and trust issues.
While the Bible does not specifically address the chakras, there are verses we can associate with the heart chakra.
- The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.” (Jeremiah 17:9-10)
- The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)
- And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, (Ezekial 11:19)
- But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.” (Matthew 15:18-20)
Mantras for the Heart Chakra:
- I am worthy of love
- My heart is open
- God loves me unconditionally
- I love myself unconditionally
- My heart is full of joy and gratitude
- I choose to love every single day
Yoga Poses for the Heart Chakra
- Cat/Cow Poses
- Eagle Arms
- Locust Pose
- Sphinx Pose
- Camel Pose
- Cobra Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Low Lunge
- High Lunge
- Reclined Bound Angle Pose
- Dancer Pose
- Fish Pose