by Tina Russo Lancey, CYT, R-AYF, R-CYAMT
Number: The fifth energy center in the body is the throat chakra.
Sanskrit: word for the throat chakra is called vishuddha. This word translates as “filter.”
Location: At the base of the throat
Function: The throat chakra is representative of communication and self-expression (speaking your own truth).
Physical Body Parts Associated: Throat, lips, tongue, cheeks, jaw, chin, neck, shoulders, and ears.
Causes of a Blocked Heart Chakra: A breakdown in communication.
Physical Signs of a Blocked Heart Chakra: Sore throat, hoarseness, sores in the mouth, thyroid problems, ear infections, gum disease, tight shoulders, and sinus infections.
Mental Signs of a Blocked Heart Chakra: Depression, anxiety, fear of speaking in public, inability to speak, unwillingness to stand up for yourself, or speaking too much.
While the Bible does not specifically address the chakras, there are verses we can associate with the throat chakra.
- We will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. (Amen!) (Ephesians 4:15)
- Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (John 8:32)
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)
- These are the things you must do: Speak truth to one another, render true and sound judgments in your gates, (Zechariah 8:16)
Mantras for the Throat Chakra:
- I speak truth
- My voice is unique
- My voice is God-given
- I know when to speak
- I know when to listen
- I use my voice freely for self-expression
Yoga Poses for the Throat Chakra
- Cat/Cow Poses
- Child’s Pose
- Puppy Pose
- Bow Pose
- Cobra Pose
- Fish Pose
- Camel Pose
- Supported Shoulder Stand
- Plow Pose