by Tina Russo Lancey, CYT, R-AYF, R-CYAMT
Number: The seventh energy center in the body is the crown chakra.
Sanskrit: word for the crown chakra is called sahasrara. This word translates as “thousand-petaled.”
Location: At the top of the head.
Element: The crown chakra is not associated with any element, (though some say the element is “thought.”)
Function: The crown chakra is representative of thought, wisdom, spirituality (our connection with God), and consciousness.
Physical Body Part Associated: Pinal Gland.
Causes of a Blocked Crown Chakra: A lack of connection with the world can lead to a blocked crown chakra, along with disease, conflict, or mental stress.
Physical Signs of a Blocked Crown Chakra: Imbalance, poor overall health, lack of focus, or the feeling of being unstable.
Mental Signs of a Blocked Crown Chakra: Confusion, mental stress, lack of connection, and overall poor mental functioning.
While the Bible does not specifically address the chakras, there are verses we can associate with spiritual crowns.
- You will also be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God, (Isaiah 62:3)
- Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. (James 1:12)
- And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away. (1 Peter 5:4)
- For thou preventest him with the blessings of goodness: thou settest a crown of pure gold on his head. (Psalm 21:3)
Mantras for the Crown Chakra:
- I am at peace
- I am connected to God
- I am the son/daughter of the one, true, divine God
- I am saved by the grace of God
- I trust God will guide me
- I listen for the divine wisdom of God
Yoga Poses for the Crown Chakra:
- Rabbit Pose
- Half Lotus Pose
- Tree Pose
- Plow Pose
- Headstand (when properly instructed by a certified yoga instructor)
- Seated Forward Fold
- Reclining Bound Angle
- Crocodile Pose
- Half Camel Pose
- Cow Face Pose
- Angel Pose (Savasana)