by Megan Steele, R-YFMT 500, R-CYAMT, Street Cred Yoga
Aligning the chakras, the centers of energy in the body responsible for physical and mental health, means imagining these centers as lotus flowers. Through meditation, starting at the base of the spine and working upward toward the top of the head, practitioners may imagine each chakra in its coordinating color as a lotus, blooming and glowing until energy can move freely through it. Once accomplished, the focus proceeds to the next chakra.
As Christ-followers, our meditation looks a little different. Chakras, or chakra theory, is a way we put human words to the invisible parts of us that are hard to explain. Why do we have “gut feelings?” Become “speechless?” If we experience a broken heart, are we referring to the organ or something else? Where does discernment happen in the body? Mercy? What is the phrase “seeing with my mind’s eye” referring to? While these are not black-and-white ideas, they are definitely felt in the body.
Here, we can define where these chakras are located, what each one represents, and explore the idea of using chakras for meditation as believers in Christ:
ROOT (I am) – Associated with the color red and the element of earth. It is located around the tailbone at the base of the spine. This chakra represents safety, stability, and security.
- Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. Colossians 2:6-7.
Suggestion for meditation: With eyes closed or with a soft gaze on the ground, imagine the phrase “rooted and built up.” What does this process look like for a mighty oak? A tree by a stream of water? A vine with many branches? Can you picture yourself rooted in Christ and built up in faith, courage, and God’s strength? What does this look like for you physically, emotionally, and spiritually? If you feel a bit “untethered,” perhaps you ask God to show you what security in him looks like. Allow your roots to be nourished by the Source.
SACRAL (I feel) – Associated with the color orange and the element of water. It is located below the belly button. This chakra represents creativity, emotions, and intimate expression.
- “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24
Suggestion for meditation: Connecting with your breath, begin thinking about a typical day. What things do you work hard on during the day? Where do you find joy in your day? Is there something creative you find pleasure in? Where is your time spent? Now imagine sharing this same day accompanied by Jesus. Everything you’re doing is for him, and he’s right here, finding great joy watching how you go about your day. Does this change your approach to your day? Please spend some time here, debriefing this day with him. What opens up when you consider intimately and creatively sharing/giving each aspect of your day to the Lord?
SOLAR PLEXUS (I do) – Associated with the color yellow and the element of fire. It is located above the belly button and below the rib cage. This chakra represents confidence, discipline, and courage.
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10.
- I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13.
Suggestion for meditation: In a relaxed state, with hands resting at the soft part of the breastbone, inhale- “I am his workmanship…” exhale: “created in Christ Jesus…” Knowing that we are created for good works that God prepared for us beforehand, what would it look like to seize the day as a treasure hunt, looking for opportunities to do good works? Not as a “have to,” but as a “get to”? Does the idea make you nervous? As you continue to inhale, “I am his workmanship…” picture God pouring courage and confidence into you. As you exhale “created in Christ Jesus…” contemplate the self-discipline needed to use this courage and discipline. Can you take this intention with you throughout the day? I believe there are free refills!
HEART (I love) – Associated with the color green and the air element. It is located right above the heart. This chakra represents love and compassion.
- Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8
Suggestion for meditation: Placing your hands over your heart and connecting with your breath, feel the soft beat of your heart. A loving God who created you to love and be loved carefully placed this heart in your chest. Are you able to receive His love? Is this a struggle? Can you imagine his hand over your hand, also feeling your heartbeat? Spend a moment here and ask him what he thinks about your heart. Knowing that His love covers your sin and purifies your heart, can you freely extend this love to others? How can you love others’ sins? Is forgiveness needed? Quality time? Is there a struggling loved one in need of mediation? Ponder.
THROAT (I speak) – Associated with the color blue and the ether element. The throat chakra involves speech and communication.
- Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29
- Kind words are like honey–sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. Proverbs 16:24
Suggestion for meditation: Imagine momentarily that once words leave your lips, they become visible. How do you feel about what you see? Do they flow like sweet honey, offering health and grace to those who hear? Is communication difficult for you? Does your vocabulary need some cleansing? The heart chakra and the throat chakra are so closely connected as God’s word says, “…for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45). Perhaps go for a prayer walk, audibly thanking God for things you are grateful for. Maybe write things you have a hard time articulating and read them aloud. Frighten the enemy by reading scripture out loud!
THIRD EYE (I see) – Associated with indigo color and light element. It is between the eyes and in the middle of the forehead. We relate this chakra to clarity of thought and discernment.
- When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. John 16:13.
- Do not be conformed to this world,c but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2.
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6.
- If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5.
- Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1
Suggestion for meditation: Spend time with the above scripture. Please don’t allow them to become stale or cliche. Ask God to make them fall afresh, renewing your mind, no matter how familiar they are. Memorize one that resonates with you, or memorize them all!
CROWN (I know) – Associated with the color purple and the element of consciousness. It is at the top of the head. We relate this chakra to purpose, awareness, and bliss.
- You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God. Isaiah 62:3
Suggestion for meditation: Visualize Isaiah 61:3! What do YOU look like as a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord? This is no small thing. Consider God made you of precious material and in the hand of God! His glory shines through you! What do you look like as a royal diadem? If your personality, gifts, and talents were gems, what do you think they look like? What color are they? What might God’s facial expression be as he holds you, his crown of beauty? Is there a creative way to express this physically and thank God for his loving thoughts toward you, his crowning glory?